Help to Buy Mortgages

Help to Buy mortgages – an easier way to get on the property ladder.

With the government’s Help to Buy initiative, new-home buyers only need to get together 5% of the purchase price of a new-build property and the government will give additional help to make that all-important first step onto the property ladder a reality.

Help to Buy has two options – Equity Share and Help to Buy: Mortgage Guarantee. Each option gives first-time buyers the ability to buy a new home that has a purchase price of £600,000 or less while only putting down a deposit of 5%.

Equity Share is only available for buyers of new properties. After putting down a deposit of 5% for a new build property, you will be loaned an additional 20% of the new home’s value by the government. This is an interest-free loan for five years, after which it’s repayable at 1.75% of the full loan amount.
With Help to Buy: Mortgage Guarantee, you can buy older properties as well as new. After putting down 5% of the purchase price as a deposit, you can apply for a Help to Buy mortgage for the other 95% of the property price. With this Help to Buy mortgage the government is in effect acting as a guarantor, so the mortgage lender knows that, if you default, it can claim the money back from the government. It means you can access a much better mortgage deal in addition to a sufficient deposit for the new home.

The interest rate with a Help to Buy mortgage can be higher than with a normal mortgage. So in order to get the best rate, it pays to shop around.

There are restrictions with the Help to Buy scheme; for instance, it can’t be used to buy a second home and you can’t rent out the property after you buy it. You also can’t use this scheme with Shared Ownership properties.

 

Search for Help to Buy new builds

Get free mortgage advice

If you'd like some one-to-one help to pick the right mortgage, please fill in the simple details below and we'll get an independent financial adviser to contact you to offer some expert guidance.







 Sign up to our newsletter